Last summer Wildlands Conservancy completed a major restoration of the stream that flows through Monocacy Creek Park. Monocacy Creek is the center piece of this quiet city park that is graced with stonework built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1935 and Illick’s Mill built in 1856. The four-story stone building was operated as a grist mill until 1915. From 2001 to 2011, Liberty High School students made an environmental center in the mill. Now the Appalachian Mountain Club rents office space in the Mill, which is also rented as an event venue. We’ll walk to the CCC built waterfall to see the improved fish habitat and restoration of the stream banks. Then we’ll walk south, along the Monocacy to look for birds, wildflowers, and ruins of the industries that helped spur the Industrial Revolution in America. Depending on conditions we might walk farther to the Burnside Plantation. Directions: From Route 22, take the Center Street Exit (Route 512) south. Go south 1.5 miles to Illick’s Mill Road. Turn right onto Illick’s Mill Road and go 0.1 mile to the parking area on the left. We will meet in the parking area.